Facts to Know About Orthodontics!
Orthodontic treatment is commonly referred to as having “braces” or “straightening your teeth”. However, the truth is orthodontic treatment goes beyond that. At Windermere Orthodontics, we are here to help you achieve a healthy bite and smile through treatment. Service options include Early Treatment, Adolescent Treatment, Adult Treatment, Invisalign and Empo
- Orthodontics is originally a greek word! “Ortho” means straight or correct. “Dont” means tooth!
- Crooked teeth have been around forever! A perfect smile was not a part of our ancestors. Crooked teeth have been around since the Egyptian mummies!
- Orthodontics became the first dental speciality in 1900! Edward H. Angle founded the specialty of orthodontics and was the first orthodontist!
- Teeth move in response to pressure over a duration of time. Pressure can be both helpful and harmful, depending on what it is! For example, thumbsucking puts the wrong type of pressure on your teeth and jaws. Where as orthodontists use appliances such as braces and aligners to put apply a gentle pressure to guide your teeth into a new position.
- Orthodontic treatment is a professional service. Contrary to some of the popular online marketing you may see today, orthodontic treatment is not a commodity or product. Orthodontic treatment requires the hands of an expert (an orthodontist) to use an appliance to move your teeth.
To learn more about orthodontic treatment at Windermere Orthodontics, contact our offices in Suwanee and Cumming! We are happy to help explain your treatment options and how they can benefit your oral health!