Did you know it is National Orthodontic Health Month?
We take this month of October to bring awareness to all the reasons why orthodontics is so important in our lives.
Top 10 things to remember:
1. The American Association of Orthodontists recommends children see an orthodontist at age 7 to evaluate proper growth and development.
2. Mouth guards are very important to wear during contact sports, whether you have braces or not.
3. Brush and floss well around your braces to prevent white spots from forming.
4. Avoid sugary foods to prevent cavities. If you do eat something sweet, remember to brush and floss.
5. Flared teeth can get traumatized if a child falls. Bringing the teeth back with braces is the best prevention.
6. Expanding a narrow palate can eliminate breathing and sleep disorders.
7. Proper retainer wear ensures your orthodontic results lasts forever.
8. If you have braces, remember to choose foods that don’t break your braces.
9. Drink water and try to avoid sugary and acidic drinks, including Powerade and Gatorade.
10. Remember to listen to all the instructions and recommendations by your orthodontist, including wearing your rubber bands and retainers!
Happy October and Happy National Orthodontic Health Month!