How Does Orthodontic Treatment Work?
Some patients can find orthodontic treatment intimidating before visiting the orthodontist. This is largely due to misinformation or lack of knowledge about how orthodontic treatment works. At Windermere Orthodontics, we take time to explain our treatment options to our patients in detail. This way they can make an informed decision without fear. Here’s a brief overview of how orthodontic treatment typically works:
1. Movement of teeth
Our team utilizes orthodontic appliances such as braces or aligners on your teeth to gently move them into the desired position. This movement is gradual and takes months to complete. During the process, gentle pressure is applied to achieve these movements.
2. Appliances for the Treatment
Our team can recommend several appliances for orthodontic treatment such as:
- Empower braces – self ligating braces without the need for elastic ties around the braces, allowing for less discomfort and better oral hygiene
- Clear aligners – which can be a great alternative to traditional braces for some patients. They are discreet and suitable for many patients.
- Retainers- for minor movement in a patient who has had orthodontic relapse
- TADs or Temporary Anchorage Devices can be used to help achieve certain movements ( such as moving a tooth forward to help close a space for a missing tooth). They are fixed points that can be used to apply force on the teeth and move them gently into position.
If you want to book an appointment at Windermere Orthodontics or learn more about orthodontic treatment, don’t hesitate to reach out to us through this form. You can also call us directly for more information.
– Dr. Gorlovsky