How to Stay Healthy for Halloween with Braces
Halloween is just around the corner – one of the most exciting celebrations for our little ones all year. However, when children and teens are undergoing orthodontic treatment (such as wearing braces), some Halloween treats can be problematic for their oral health.
At Windermere Orthodontics, we want all of our patients to enjoy the festivities of trick-or-treating on October 31st. We have some helpful tips on keeping a healthy oral cavity with braces or orthodontic treatment for this coming Halloween.
- Eat sweets and drink sugary beverages with meals. Eating can increase saliva production, which helps in washing food residues from the mouth and assist in neutralizing acid to prevent tooth decay.
- Limit snacking of candies, sweets and sugary food. Continually snacking can increase acid production, which damages the tooth enamel.
- Don’t let your children eat chewy and hard candies, caramel, licorice, nuts, taffy, bubblegum, popcorn, pretzels, and jelly beans (just to name a few!). This list of snacks can cause damage or can potentially break or bend your child’s braces.
- Braces safe sweet options include the following; gelatin treats, ice cream, root beer floats, soft chocolate, smoothies, and peanut butter cups.
- Ensure that your kids stick to small portions of sweets and candies.
- Tell them to brush their teeth at least twice a day, floss daily and rinse their mouth after eating.
Keeping your children’s teeth healthy and clean is especially crucial with braces and orthodontic treatment! If you have any questions on Halloween tips or healthy oral tips for kids with braces, don’t hesitate to contact us at our office in Suwanee and Cumming. We want your children to enjoy Halloween while keeping their teeth with braces healthy!